Logo Veiligheidsregio Kennemerland

Information for refugees

On this page, you will find answers to questions in English.

Where can Ukrainian refugees go for information and enquiries?

Ukrainian refugees looking for accommodation may contact the regional desk by calling the following telephone number: 023-5115550 or via email: The desk can be reached by telephone from 8:30 to 22:30 and will assign refugees to various shelter locations in the Kennemerland safety region.

Refugees from Ukraine can look for information and enquiries about regulations, facilities and reception at:

Refugees from Ukraine can also contact their municipality

How long may Ukrainian refugees reside lawfully in the Netherlands?

As a resident of Ukraine, you can enter the Netherlands with or without a visa, thanks to the Association Agreement that the EU concluded with Ukraine in 2017. You can stay here for a period of 90 days, with the possibility of a simple extension by 90 days. Moreover, it has been agreed that, due to the current situation, residents of Ukraine who exceed the maximum time limits will not face any problems.

Special rules apply to refugees from Ukraine (the so-called Temporary Protection Directive). The Temporary Protection Scheme for Ukraine entitles you to reception and medical care, and underage children are entitled to education in the Netherlands. It also gives you the opportunity to work. After you have registered with the municipality, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service will invite you to submit an application with which you will receive proof that you are covered by the special rules for refugees from Ukraine.

Further information about staying in the Netherlands:

How do Ukrainians register with the municipality?

It is important that you register in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP) of the municipality in which you are (temporarily) staying. This also applies when you do not live in a municipal shelter, but in a host family, for example. If we know who you are and where you have found shelter, we can help you. When you register, you are given a Citizen Service Number (BSN). You can use this look for work, open a bank account and get access to education and health care.

Ukrainian refugees can register with the municipality where they are (temporarily) staying. This is done in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP). This applies to persons who can prove with an identity document that they have the Ukrainian nationality. They must also have a (temporary) residential address.

Do you have a (temporary) residential address in one of the municipalities in Kennemerland, and can you prove that you have the Ukrainian nationality? Then call for an appointment with the municipality where you are staying:

  • Uitgeest:
    +31 (0)251 36 11 11 Available Monday to Friday from 08.00 to 16.30.
  • Heemskerk:
    +31 (0)251 256 777 Available Monday to Thursday from 08.30 to 17.00, and Friday from 08.30 to 12.30.
  • Beverwijk:
    +31 (0)251 256 256 Available Monday to Friday from 08.30 to 17.00.
  • Velsen:
    +31 (0)255 567200 Available Monday to Friday from 08.30 to 17.00.
  • Heemstede:
    +31 (0)23 548 58 68 Available Monday to Thursday from 8.30 to 17.00, and Friday from 08.30 to 16.00.
  • Bloemendaal:
    +31 (0)23 522 55 55 Available Monday to Thursday from 08.30 to 17.00 and Friday from 08.30 to 16.00.
  • Haarlem and Zandvoort:
    +31 (0)23 511 5115 Available Monday to Friday from 8.30 to 16.30. 
  • Haarlemmermeer:
    +31 (0)23 567 65 43 Available Monday to Friday from 8.30 to 17.00.

Further information

You can find a lot of information at, the online starting point for Ukrainian refugees in the Netherlands. Would you like support in finding your way around in the Netherlands? VluchtelingenWerk can help you further.

How do Ukrainians register with the municipality?

Are you moving to a different address, or are you returning to Ukraine? Make sure that this is registered. Incorrect registration can, for example, result in the municipality not being able to pay the integration allowance or the integration allowance being paid out unjustly.

You are responsible for reporting a change of address. You can do this by sending an email to the municipality or by visiting the counter at the municipality you are leaving.

Are Ukrainians allowed to work in the Netherlands?

Anyone who comes under the Temporary Regulation for Ukraine (see chapter 1, general information on staying in the Netherlands) is allowed to work in the Netherlands without a work permit. This means that an employer does not need to apply for a work permit for you. This makes it easier for you to look for a job, if you want to. The exemption from the work permit applies to working as an employee. For this, you need an employment contract and an employer. You must also meet the following conditions:

  • You are registered in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP).
  • You have a document showing that you are permitted to be in the Netherlands:
    - Are you Ukrainian? As long as you have not yet received a proof of residence from the IND, proof of your nationality will suffice. For example, a passport or a certificate from the Ukrainian embassy.
    - Are you non-Ukrainian, or you have no proof of your nationality? It is unclear at the moment how you can prove that you are covered by the Temporary Regulation for Ukraine.

You can find more information about working at:

Are children from Ukraine allowed to attend school here?

Children from Ukraine are entitled to education in the Netherlands. Parents have to register their child(ren) at a school in their neighbourhood. Sometimes municipalities assist parents with this. For example, when they are still living in a reception centre.

You can find more information about education at:

Find out from the relevant municipality where Ukrainian children are hosted, and which schools the children can attend.

How can refugees return or travel further?

Refugees from Ukraine who want to return or travel further can get help from the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) (information available in Dutch and English) or the Repatriation and Departure Service (DT&V) (information available in Dutch only]. For municipalities and organisations involved, the infographic Refugee Return from Ukraine provides insight into the available options.